Official Guidelines: The 2000-01 Novella Competition
|1) Manuscripts should be 50-125 pages in length (roughly12,500-31,250 words), typed and double-spaced. Letter-quality computer printouts and photocopies are acceptable. Authors name should appear on a separate title page only. Please number pages and include a word count.
2) Multiple entries by a single author are acceptable. Once a manuscript has been received, no corrections or rewrites will be considered during the competition.
3) No manuscripts will be returned.
4) All entries should be accompanied by:
5) Entries must be postmarked between October 1, 2000 and December 31, 2000. Results will be available in the late Spring of 2001.
6) Final judging will be done by a writer of nationalreputation from a pool of finalists selected by the editors of Quarterly West. Past judges have included Jane Smiley, Richard Ford, James McManus, Valerie Miner, and Rick Bass.
7) Two winning writers will receive a prize of $500, and the winning manuscripts will be published in Quarterly West in the Fall of 2001.
Send entries to:Quarterly West Novella Competition, University of Utah, 200 So. Central Campus Drive, Rm. 317, Salt Lake City, UT 84112-9109.